main menu

Housing Choice Voucher

A resource for Housing Choice Voucher participants and landlords

Your Section 8 rent assistance can stay with you if you move — whether it’s down the block or to a different state. The steps below outline the process of transferring your voucher to your new home.

Northwest Tower

  • Call or write your rent assistance services coordinator to request your transfer packet.


  • If you are on a fixed-term lease and it is still in effect, if you owe Home Forward or your current landlord money, or if Home Forward is proposing termination due to program violations, you will not be approved to transfer.


  • Give notice to your landlord. Your packet contains a form to provide 30- to 60-day notice. Both you and your landlord must sign and date it. Give your landlord the white copy, keep the pink copy and return the yellow copy to us with the packet.


  • If your landlord issued you a notice to vacate, attach it to the packet.


  • Drop off or mail your request to your rent assistance services coordinator at 135 SW Ash Street, Portland, Oregon 97204.
  • If you have had any reduction or addition of family members since your last review, you must complete an “interim” packet in addition to the transfer packet. Let your rent assistance services coordinator know if you need an “Interim” packet. All family members must meet eligibility requirements for the program.
  • After we receive your request, your rent assistance services coordinator will review your information for completeness and will schedule you for an in-office appointment.


  • You will receive your voucher at the appointment, along with all other papers you will need to complete the transfer.
  • Moving to a new home can be expensive and difficult, even if you aren’t moving very far.  Here are some things to think about when deciding whether now is a good time to move.


  • Apartment application fee(s)


  • Background check


  • Rental security and cleaning deposits


  • Telephone, water, electrical, and other utilities


  • Hiring movers


  • Truck rental costs


  • Gasoline and other travel expenses


  • New furniture and/or appliances


  • Storage space


  • Cleaning supplies


  • Carpet cleaning


  • Time off from work


  • A new childcare provider


  • New school registration



You may also end up with rent “overlap” if you move too soon. Sometimes Section 8 participants move into a new unit before the lease at their old unit has ended. In this case, you will be expected to pay for the full rental amount until your subsidy begins.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

subscribe to our Newsletter

Home Forward Logo

Choose Your Preferred Language

English English Русский Русский Afsoomaali Afsoomaali Español Español Tiếng Việt Tiếng Việt

For Spanish, Russian, Vietnamese, Somali, and Arabic, this site uses Google Translate. Please contact us if any information provided in your language is incorrect or unclear. Vital forms are all translated by a specialized service. Read our Limited English Proficiency (LEP) Plan here.

Attention residents

As some of you may have heard, on August 20th 2023 the Portland Water Bureau’s regular testing of water quality detected small amounts of the bacteria Cryptosporidium. Since learning of this, Home Forward staff has been in contact with the Portland Water Bureau.

We have been assured that healthy individuals can and should continue using water as normal.

If you are immunocompromised or are taking an immunosuppressive drug, you can kill any potential cryptosporidium bacteria by boiling your water for 1 minute before consuming.

  • If you are boiling the water to drink, let the water cool.
  • Iodine and Chlorine do not kill this bacteria, and to treat for potential bacteria you should boil the water.
  • If you have questions please reach out to your property manager or resident services coordinator.

Please visit the Center for Disease Control website to get additional information.